What Windows services can I disable?
When installing Windows XP and Windows 7, Microsoft strongly recommends setting default settings. And, the whole point is that this is optimal for Microsoft itself. Some services that are enabled by default will not only take up disk space, but sometimes even pose a serious threat to system security. In this article, we will consider which Windows services can be disabled.
There are services that are rarely used. They can be turned off painlessly.
We list which services to disable Windows XP, so as not to harm the stability of the system.
Before you start making changes, you must create a system restore point.
- Service DHCP client. With its help, the computer makes a request to the DHCP server issuing these addresses to obtain an IP address. This service is especially needed by large organizations, when the staff can not cope manually, an ordinary user does not need it.
- Remote Registry Service. Remote Registry. The service serves to support changes to registry entries throughout the network. Such an opportunity is very dangerous.The average man in the settings of the operating system is ignorant, but the attackers use this service with great success. This service must be disabled. This is a real computer security threat.
- Wireless Zero Configuration. Wireless setup. It is unlikely that an ordinary user will ever need to automatically configure 802.11 adapters. It is unlikely that he even knows what it is.
- NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing. Using this service, user desktop connections are made using Net Meeting. This service is a serious threat to the security of the entire system. It is better to turn it off.
- RPS. Remote call locator. It manages the RPS name service database. It must be enabled in order for RPS clients to be able to find RPS servers. The fact is that this service opens TCP ports: 445 and 139. This is often used by malicious programs. In addition, it takes 12 megabytes of RAM.
- Error logging service. The IPSEC service, using the IKE driver, controls the IP security policy. Required when using a VPN (pseudolocal network). Home computers it is optional.
- Security Center. A rather annoying service that provides no protection. It is advisable to disable.
You can disable services using the following algorithm:
- Click on the icon "My Computer";
- Further, the section "Management";
- Then "Services and Applications";
- After this “Service”;
- Highlight the service to be deleted;
- Click "Stop";
- Open service properties;
- Change the startup type from “Manual” or “Auto” to “Disabled”.
Consider which services to disable. Windows 7 should not suffer.
To enter the service management you must do the following:
- In the search bar enter the services.msc command.
- After that, press enter.
- To understand the purpose of a service, you must go to the Advanced tab.
- In the Startup type drop-down menu, define the service mode.
The list of services that can be disabled:
- Application Identity. The service identifies applications that are on the blocked list. It can be disabled if AppLocker is not enabled on the system.
- Encryption drives. If the BitLocker feature is not used in the operating system, the service must be disabled.
- Print Spooler. If there is a printer, then you need to leave it on, if there is no printer, turn it off.
- If Bluetooth devices are not used, then the support service of such devices can be turned off.
- Remote registry disable necessarily.
- Disable error logging in Windows.
- Remote Desktop Services is disabled.
- Tablet PC input service is disabled if there are no such devices.
- The system event notification service is disabled. You can leave it enabled if the PC user is a system administrator.
- The certificate distribution service can be disabled.
- If there are no children in the family, the Parental Control service can be turned off; if there are children, leave it.
- The Windows Media Player Network Share service can be disabled.
- The smart card service is disabled.
Now you know which Windows services can be disabled. This will free up disk space and, in addition, help protect your computer.
How to overcome guilt feelings
The main thing of the season: jeans with unfixed edges
Jelly from black currant for the winter: recipes with step-by-step instructions - without cooking in a cold way, five minutes and with gelatin. How to cook at home black currant jelly
Original knitted adornments: patterns, photos
Choosing a bag for mom: important tips
How to decorate the house for the New Year to surprise and delight everyone (24 photos)
How to cook meatballs with gravy: 5 step-by-step recipes with photos