Treatment of urolithiasis in cats
Small fluffy lumps and big smart cats and cats can leave indifferent few people. It is proved that by their purring they are able to strengthen the health of the owner, and, laying down on certain parts of the body, indicate the diseased organ.
But sometimes our tailed friends also need treatment. Pathology of the urinary system - one of the most common diseases. And, unfortunately, it is these pathologies that have a high percentage of deaths.
How to understand that a cat suffers from urolithiasis?
Urolithiasis or urolithiasis is a chronic disease that is characterized by the formation of sand and stones in the bladder of an animal. This causes painful feelings, so the caring owner immediately draws attention to the fact that the cat began to worry while going to the toilet.
There are also some other signs:
- the amount of urine gradually decreases, and trips to the tray increase;
- urine acquires a dark color, a strong odor, and bloody blotches can also appear;
- the cat began to lick the genitals often;
- in the acute stage of the disease, the animal refuses to eat and reluctantly moves, the temperature may rise to 39 degrees;
- when probing the abdomen, in its lower part, the formation of a spherical shape can be detected.
What can cause the pathology of the urinary system?
The main cause of such diseases in cats, veterinarians believe a violation of metabolic processes, especially the protein component. If the diet of an animal is supersaturated with phosphorus or magnesium, the risk of developing pathology increases significantly. Both internal (endogenous) factors and external (exogenous) factors may have an effect on the appearance of urolithiasis.
Among endogenous factors, there are:
- Hormonal disorders. The content of calcium in the animal's blood is regulated by parathyroid hormone. If its production increases, the amount of phosphorus gradually increases in the blood and urine of a cat, which in the process of accumulation turns into sand and stones.
- Digestive system problems. Chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract affect the level of acidity due to a decrease in calcium excretion from the intestine.
- The specific structure of organs.The urinary canal in cats has the shape of a tube with a curved part, which can contribute to the accumulation of crystals.
External factors include:
- The temperature of the environment. At elevated temperatures, cat urine becomes more concentrated, and urination processes are significantly reduced. It is necessary to take care that the animal does not constantly overheat.
- Food. If a cat lacks vitamin A, the risk of developing urolithiasis increases several times. It is necessary to clearly balance the diet, including the necessary vegetable oil and carrots, as well as the necessary vitamin complexes at the first symptoms of the disease.
How to help the animal?
For the treatment of urolithiasis, various methods are used, which include pharmacotherapy and surgical interventions. The choice of treatment depends on the timely diagnosis and detection of the disease in the four-cheeked friend.
The first thing to do to alleviate the condition of the animal is to establish a process for the normal flow of urine. To do this, using cat anesthesia, catheters are placed on the bladder.An additional method is drugs that have an antispasmodic effect - no-shpa, drotaverin.
If catheterization is not possible, the veterinarian will offer to perform an operation during which the cat's bladder will be cleared of sand from the stones and a temporary catheter will be put in place to remove urine.
Additional treatments for the animal are usually directed to:
- normalization of acidity of urine;
- dissolution of sediment in the urine and its complete elimination.
To regulate the level of acidity, an analysis is carried out, as a result of which drugs are prescribed, as well as special foods. To dissolve the sediment, veterinarians resort to bladder washes and special tablets.
To eliminate intoxication of the body, the cat is prescribed taking medications that help remove toxins from the liver (glucose, glutargin), as well as its maintenance.
The active phase of treatment takes about a week, but in three days the animal will feel much better.
How to prevent the development of pathology of the urinary system?
Prevention of urolithiasis should be carried out from an early age. To do this, remember a few simple rules.
- Cat diet should be balanced. A healthy animal can be given fish no more than once every three days, a cat that has urolithiasis once a week. Let's give enough liquid.
- Once a quarter for several weeks, it is worth giving the animal special food, which contains preparations that help prevent the development of the disease.
- A healthy pet must be taken to the veterinarian for examination at least once a year. For those who already have the disease, a urine test is mandatory every three months.
- In day mode, cats are required active periods of games and wakefulness, including on the street, because hypodynamia can also cause stagnation in the bladder.
- Pay special attention to the temperature regime so that your pet does not become supercool.
Remember that pets require special attention and care. Take care of your cats from day one, and they will thank you with their love and caress.
Spicy salted cape
Crochet donut needle bar
How are rice bran useful?
Stewardess - a profession that you have been dreaming about since childhood