Secrets of growing flower ageratum
If you want to decorate your flower beds with lush blooms, then a great way to do this is to plant an ageratum. But first, figure out how to grow it.
Ageratum is a herbaceous perennial, belonging to the family of Astrope. Such a plant was introduced to Europe in the 19th century, and its birthplace is America. A distinctive feature are flowers that look fluffy and fluffy due to the many subtle petals that resemble long villi.
They can be painted in lilac, light pink, purple, blue and almost white shades. The flowers are collected in lush inflorescences and framed by leaves of medium size. Although ageratum is considered a perennial plant, due to climatic conditions and the change of seasons it usually blooms for only one year.
An interesting fact: the name of the ageratum is translated from the Latin language as "ageless", which is due to the fact that the plant is able to maintain a fresh and attractive appearance for a long time.
How to grow?
How to grow a flower ageratum? First of all, you should choose a suitable soil.And although the plant is practically not demanding to the ground, you should not plant it in wet, heavy and stony ground, which can translate into moisture retention.
In an excessively rich humus or “oily” soil, the flower will also grow, but in this case the active development of foliage will begin, and the flowering will be scarce. The ideal option would be a neutral, sufficiently nutritious and light soil: in it the ageratum will feel as comfortable as possible. For example, you can prepare a mixture of equal proportions of peat, sand and humus.
The best way to grow at home is from seedlings, as the plant is thermophilic and may not tolerate spring frosts when planted in open ground. If the sowing is done after the establishment of constant warm weather, the flowering may begin too late, and you just do not have time to enjoy it.
Seeds are sown in boxes or containers with a fairly light substrate. They do not need to be deepened; they themselves will occupy the necessary position as they germinate. The soil is not very abundantly moistened, and the containers are covered with a film to create a greenhouse effect that will accelerate growth.The optimum temperature is about 15-17 degrees. The first sprouts can be seen already after a half to two weeks.
At this stage, the film should be removed. The seedlings grow at a rapid pace, so when the seedlings are strong, they need to swoop into large boxes or in separate pots. In total, picking can be done twice. The soil is regularly, but not very abundantly moistened: it should not be excessively wet. In addition, it is necessary to ensure a constant airing, since the stuffiness of the plant is not tolerated.
In late May, when the frosts have already passed, you can grow ageratum in open ground. To prepare the plant for relocation, you can begin to expose it to fresh air in one or two weeks, removing it for the night if the temperature drops below 14-15 degrees at night. The landing pattern will depend on the specific grade. So, tall plants should be removed from each other by 20-30 centimeters, and low ones can be planted at a distance of 10-15 cm.
Tip: when landing in the ground, make sure that the plant is at the same level as in the pots.
How to care?
Ageratum needs to provide full-fledged care, which requires the creation of the following conditions:
- Lighting. You need to take care of this even at the landing stage: the ageratum will feel comfortable in a flower bed that is well lit, but protected from direct, scorching sunlight. But the shadow effect on growth is detrimental, so the shaded areas will not work.
- Plant cultivation requires regular, moderate watering. Avoid stagnation of the soil, as overwetting can cause root rot.
- To ensure the supply of oxygen to the soil, do not forget to gently loosen it without damaging the roots. Periodic weeding is also required: weeds have a negative effect on the growth of ageratum and its flowering.
- To maintain the lush and beautiful flowering, the flowering shoots must be promptly removed. Pruning plant transfers fine, and after them begins to form new branches with inflorescences. Also for the formation of beautiful bushes can be cut tops.
- Top dressing would be useful if the soil is not very rich. But organic fertilizers should not be used, the best option would be mineral fertilizers.They are introduced into the ground two or three times over the entire period of active vegetation. One dressing must be carried out before flowering at the budding stage, so that the flowers are larger and they stay fresh and lush longer. Buds begin to open approximately 40-60 days after the emergence of shoots, and with proper care, they persist almost to the very frost, after which the ageratums, unfortunately, die. But if you have a greenhouse or a winter garden, then you can move the plants there, and next year plant them again in the ground.
Tip: you can multiply plants by cutting them. To this end, separate strong shoots from the main plant in the fall, place them in light soil and grow in a cool place during the winter. Planting in the soil at a permanent place is carried out in May, and before that the pots are placed in a room with a temperature of about 20 degrees.
What problems can arise?
The most common problem faced by many gardeners is water stagnation or waterlogging. Because of this, root rot can develop, which almost always leads to the inevitable death of the entire plant. To prevent it, you should maintain moderate irrigation and regularly loosen the soil.
Also, the so-called cucumber mosaic threatens the aheeratums, possibly the defeat by bacteria, which provokes the subsequent withering. Pests also often encroach on the plants under consideration, especially scoops, nematodes, spider mites and whiteflies. If any traces of the presence of parasites are found on the foliage, all affected areas should be immediately removed. The whole flower is treated with specialized insecticides.
In order for the beautiful lush ageratum to delight you with bright fluffy flowers, care for this plant correctly and follow the tips given in the article.
Publications by Andrei Semykin
Bracelet on the prom with your own hands
Urophite forte - an effective remedy for kidney failure
How to treat cervical dysplasia