Plumeria is a gentle decoration of your garden
Decorate the window sill is easier than it seems. If you put a pot on it with a beautiful plumeria, it will play with new colors or become an accent of the interior.
Plumeria is an evergreen plant belonging to the Kutrov family and growing in hot countries and on islands with a predominantly tropical climate, such as Thailand, Costa Rica, Mexico, Bali, Cuba, Hawaii. In our latitudes, these flowers are grown by most gardeners at home, as they do not withstand winter frosts and die.
Plumeria is a shrub or small tree with a rather spreading crown and fleshy large leaves. In the wild, it can reach 3 meters in height, but, grown at home, rarely grows above 1.5-2 meters. The flowers of the plant are large, consist of five delicate petals and may have a diameter of about 10 centimeters. They can be painted in a variety of shades: from white or pale yellow to pink, lilac and purple.There are decorative two-colored species. A distinctive feature is the stunning fragrance spread by the plumeria.
An interesting fact: the name of the plant was in honor of the well-known botanist Charles Plumer in France in the XVII century.
How to grow a flower plumeria? It is undesirable to grow a plant on a plot in open ground, since it will not withstand frost and will turn from a perennial into a one-year one. In addition, plumeria begins to bloom in two or three years, so you will not see it in your garden of flowers.
To cultivate plumery from seeds, prepare warm water, some capacity, potassium permanganate or fungicidal agent, directly inoculum, as well as a rich and nutritious soil, for example, a substrate for flowering tropical plants. Also, you can mix part of the peat and two pieces of leafy earth. Vermiculite or perlite can be introduced into the soil to allow air to flow well.
Your actions will be:
- First you need to inspect all the seeds and select the largest and whole. They have lionfish, and they do not need to be torn.
- Seeds for three hours, place in warm water and leave in a well-heated room or on the battery.
- Now the planting material is recommended to be disinfected to prevent damage to rot. Use a fungicidal preparation or a pink solution of potassium permanganate for this.
- Next, prepare the foam or cotton, moisten excessively and immerse the seeds in the material with the vats upward. When the roots appear, move the seed to the soil.
- Fill the tank with soil, evenly moisten it and place the seeds in it. Lionfish must remain above the surface.
- Organize a mini-greenhouse, covering the container with glass or film. But daily remove the canopy for airing. The soil should always be wet.
- When sprouts are covered with several leaves, the film or glass can be removed.
- As you grow, swoop down plumeria shoots in individual pots.
How to care for plumeria?
Care of plumeria involves the creation and continuous maintenance of certain conditions:
- Lighting. It should be sufficient, with plumeria well tolerated even direct sunlight falling on it for 6-8 hours. And therefore it is best to place a pot with such a plant on the south side. Eastern and western windows will do, but the bloom may be less abundant and not so long.
- Temperature mode.Domestic plumeria is a heat-loving plant, therefore, approximately from the second half of spring and throughout the summer, keep the temperature around 25-30 degrees. In the fall, begin to gradually reduce it to bring the flower into a state of rest. Throughout the winter and half of the spring, the temperature should vary between 15-18 degrees, but not lower. In the summer, you can take out the pots on the balcony or put it in a well-lit area of the garden plot.
- Sufficient air humidity. If the room in which the flower is standing is not high, then this problem can be solved in several ways: use a humidifier, put a container next to water, or spray the plumeria regularly with a spray bottle. And for this purpose use defended and soft water.
- Watering should be quite frequent (especially in summer), but moderate, since stagnant moisture can lead to decay of the root system. Water the flower after the topsoil has dried and do not allow water to stagnate in the pan. On cloudy days, the volume of liquid decreases. And during the winter period of rest, plumeria should be watered rarely.
- To your plumeria fully developed and pleased with abundant flowering, feed it.In the spring, when new green shoots appear, complex fertilizers can be applied to the soil. Then twice a month fertilize the flower means for flowering plants. Winter feeding is not needed at all. And in the summer, if the plant is standing outdoors, you can spray its leaves with weak solutions of fertilizers. And be careful with nitrogen: it has a good effect on the development of foliage, but inhibits budding.
- Transplantation of young and actively growing plumeria is carried out annually, and adult plants “migrate” twice a year. If you want a sprawling crown and a considerable height, choose a pot that is two or three centimeters in diameter more than the previous one. But the root system is developing rapidly and stimulates the development of ground parts, so if there is little space, then cut 4-5 centimeters of lateral and lower root processes before transplanting.
- Regular pruning will be useful, which are best done after the plant leaves the state of rest. You can simply remove the weakened or dried shoots, and you can stimulate flowering, removing part of the side branches (bud tied on the upper parts).
- Monitor the condition of the plant. If its growth has slowed, it may not be enough light or moisture. If plumeria looks weak, then the problem may lie in the rotting of the roots. The main pests are spider mites destroyed by insecticides.
It is important to know: the juice of the plant is considered poisonous, so do not allow it to hit the skin and do not put plumeria in the nursery.
The easiest and most effective way of plumeria breeding is grafting. During the rest period, the plants are separated from healthy and mature, almost lignified shoots that have several leaves (dried and yellowed are removed). The handle is placed in the ground and watered moderately. Rooting can take about three months, so please be patient.
Decorate the windowsill with a magnificent plumeria. But do not forget to fully and properly care for her, so that she feels comfortable and blossoms.
Pregnant Duchess Katherine was accused of being too thin
The Little Prince and other famous proverbs
How to become a blogger. Where to begin
How to gain weight quickly
Rose from the fabric
Wonderful Cake of Diapers
The 73-year-old Lauren Hatton in linen advertising Calvin Klein