How to distinguish a real diamond from a fake?
To begin with, it is worth to find out which stones - artificial and natural - replace diamonds in jewelry.
Types of imitation diamonds
People have been trapping diamonds for centuries. Initially, the wizard used glass, so the fake "stones" were easy to recognize. Modern imitations resemble real diamonds by their external brilliance and other characteristics, and they are indecently expensive.
- Fianit - a popular artificial stone (zirconia), which is used to simulate diamonds. The low price and external resemblance to real diamonds make it possible for jewelers to create beautiful products at an affordable price.If the cubic zirconia is professionally cut, it is not inferior to genuine diamonds in terms of radiance and brilliance.
Gold earrings with cubic zirconia, SL;gold ring with cubic zirconia SL(prices link)
- Strass is an artificial stone made on a high-precision machine tool from an alloy based on glass. The world is full of manufacturers of rhinestones, so the quality varies greatly. The recognized manufacturer of rhinestones is the Austrian company Swarovski, whose products are loved even by pop stars and movies - the artificial diamonds of this brand lightly refract light.
- Moissanite has several properties similar to a diamond: it also refracts light rays, and even surpasses the “original” in optical characteristics. But in terms of hardness, moissanite is inferior to the hardest mineral on the planet - the diamond. Initially, moissanite was found in the composition of the meteoritic structure, but later it was learned to receive it in the laboratory, which reduced its cost.
- Synthetic diamonds are produced from graphite, exposing it to high pressure and temperatures. The second resource for the production of synthetic diamonds is hydrocarbon.Due to almost identical characteristics, synthetic diamonds are used in science, but they do not represent values in the jewelry art.
- Topaz refers to semiprecious stones with colors from brown to blue
- Rhinestone - a colorless variety of quartz
- Sapphire is almost equal in diamond hardness
- Beryl is a mineral, some species of which (emerald and aquamarine) belong to precious stones, but are cheaper than diamonds.
- Zircon is a mineral with a strong diamond glitter.
Gold ring with diamonds and topazes, SL;(price by reference)
How to distinguish a diamond from a counterfeit at home
Recognition of precious stones is the task of a gemologist, a specialist in jewelry. Cope with her average person is almost impossible. If you doubt the authenticity of the purchased jewelry, we advise you to try out these simple ways to identify imitation.
- The method of immersion in clean water. The popular belief that a true diamond is not visible in water is a myth. In fact, even a natural diamond is noticeable in water, because their densities differ.But water is useful from another point of view: it is able to reveal a double-layer stone (the upper part is natural and the lower part is fake). Dipping the product into the water, you get the opportunity to see the place of gluing, if present.
- The following method is similar to the barbaric, but it is no less effective. Try scratching the stone with corundum or another sharp diamond. There will be no traces on the natural diamond, and the imitation will suffer.
- If in front of you is a stone without a rim, place it on a piece of paper with small print. A diamond will not let you see the letters or stains, but through a fake you will see the obscure outlines of the text.
- Use sandpaper. It consists of sapphire particles, which is inferior to diamond in hardness. A diamond will endure such torture with ease, and roughness and scratches will remain on imitation.
- If you drop a diamond in hydrochloric acid, nothing will happen to it. On a fake after such a test will remain stains and stains.
- Apply a couple of drops of sunflower oil to the stone, and then attach it to the glass or mirror. The original will adhere to the surface.
It is not recommended to knock on the stone with a hammer: the diamond will break apart into small pieces, like other natural stones.
How to distinguish a real diamond from a fake in the store
Without the items listed above on hand, finding a fake in a store is even more difficult. Do not worry: you have in your inventory some more proven methods that will be useful to you in the hike in the jewelry departments.
- Carefully look at the sparkling diamond. This stone reflects the rays of gray. If you see multicolored reflections, it is highly likely that you have an imitation or low-grade stone in your hands.
- Hold the product to your mouth and breathe on it. A real diamond does not fog. At the same time, remember that high-quality sapphires behave the same way.
- Thoroughly consider the frame. The brand is a sign of quality jewelry frame, and its absence is in doubt.
- Take a stone or jewelry in the palm of your hand, squeeze and hold it for a minute. Artificial diamond will warm, and natural will remain cool.
- Try to scratch the glass of the showcase with a stone: the diamond will leave a discernible scratch, and the fianite or another version of the imitation will leave no traces.
Gold pendant with diamonds, SL;gold earrings with diamonds, SL;gold ring with diamonds SL(prices link)
If you purchased a diamond jewelry, but the above methods do not help, leaving you in doubt, we recommend that you contact a specialist. For an adequate amount, he will conduct an examination (an assessment of authenticity), which includes the following procedures:
- Using high-precision equipment, a specialist will weigh the stone and determine the compliance of its weight with the size;
- Then the expert will assess the color and purity of the stone in accordance with the established standards;
- Further, the study will be cut (in jewelry art established strict rules and regulations in this area);
- At the end, other criteria will be considered: the size of the site, the height and diameter of the stone.
In the evaluation process, modern equipment is used: microscopes, colorimeters, specialized software for determining the facets of a diamond. It is impossible to recreate such conditions at home or when visiting a jewelry store.
After analyzing the results, the gemologist will issue a conclusion and the estimated cost of the diamond that has been tested.
If you are not used to hoping for folk ways or do not trust specialists, the option that suits you is buying diamonds with diamonds that are sold with certificates.Original products sold in Europe or Asia are accompanied by international certificates of EGL or GIA.
How to choose the perfect beach dress
How to cook chicken
Why the phone does not ring
Defects and marriage of tomato juice
8 practical ideas on how to equip a small apartment
New Year decor in the style of bokho-chic
Red and chokeberry for the winter - recipe blanks with photos of compote, juice and jam
Effective water slimming exercises